Sunday, November 2, 2008

An Exact Replica of a Figment of My Imagination

I can't take credit for the title of this post. This is the book I've just finished for my November book club. The author is Elizabeth McCracken. She has a beautiful and haunting style of writing. I thoroughly enjoyed every page and wanted to share this lovely treasure with anyone who might be reading my blog.

The subject matter is not light. In fact, the author states right off: "This is happiest story in the world with the saddest ending."

The book is a memoir, based on the author's experience of losing her child in the late, late stages of pregnancy. The story jumps back and forth from France (where the author and her husband are awaiting the birth of their first child) to the United States (where she discovers that she is pregnant again, only three months after losing the first baby).

This book is a brilliant account of an extremely sad and devestating event. Given the heady subject, one might expect a certain heaviness to the story, but the author does an exceptional job of turning her grief into a courageous journey towards healing. At least this was my "take away" of the book.

Next up is "Three Cups of Tea." I think we're the last book club in America to be reading it. I scored a borrowed copy. There ARE benefits to being last!

No comments: