Tuesday, February 9, 2010

A Special 70

Today, I was honored to attend a luncheon for a client turning 70. I was one of eight women who came to celebrate the birthday of a very special lady, with a delicious lunch and really good company.

I had to leave the party early to pick up Ben. As I drove to his school, I reflected on the sweetness of life's relationships - specifically, how I could have traveled another path and never intersected with my client, and friend. I never would have known her grace, her generosity, her unexpected wit, her steadfast dedication to her family, to her grandchildren and to her friends. I would have missed so much.

So many times, I choose to ruminate on the road(s) that I didn't take, with regrets and a whole lot of second-guessing. Today, it felt really good to think about my friendship with this client in terms of, "Having her in my life is just another benefit of the choices I've made."

Ben leaves for Italy tomorrow. He lay on the couch tonight with me, his head resting lightly on my shoulder and his fingers intertwined into mine. We talked about gellato. He said, "I'm going to miss you, Mommy."

Sending him off feels wrong. It's a heavier sadness that I've experienced before.

Life delivers so many injustices. But at the same time, I've finally figured out that there are equal amounts of goodness, if you pause and sit still enough to let them in.

My wisest friend says this all the time: "Reality eventually catches up with everyone. EVERYONE."

Isn't that the truth.

I'm glad that my own reality includes clients who become friends and birthdays to celebrate and friends who share their infinite wisdom with me.

Thank you, M and K.

1 comment:

Lish said...

We know how YOU are doing without Ben lol!! How is Ben doing in Italy? :)