Friday, February 12, 2010

The Roller Coaster Is Waiting...Step Right On!

Today has been a day of highs and lows.

Starting at 4am. No messages or texts from Kevin and Ben. Send a note off to my dad to ask what to do. He says to sit tight.

I "sit tight" for a couple of hours, train clients, try not to go "THERE" in my mind.

At 10am, I check my email. There's a message from Kevin's girlfriend. Yes, she's heard from them. They are exhausted, but fine.

I am relieved.

And I am pissed.

My sister calls and I break down on the phone with her.

44 hours after I've said goodbye to Ben, the phone rings. They are in Sorrento and all is well. Kevin says they have slept more than half the day away and I can hear Ben in the background: "Ciao, Ciao, Ciao..."

There was an eight hour delay at Heathrow. Ben passed out on a bench in the airport, with a sleeping mask over his eyes. He slept for four hours. Kevin didn't sleep. I guess Heathrow doesn't have public phones.

Kevin feels like crap, as well he should. He must have apologized twenty times. I told him to bring me a nice pair of Italian shoes and I'd consider forgiveness by next Christmas. IF I like the shoes.

Meanwhile, the mail came through the door while I was chatting with Ben. I retrieved it at the end of our conversation and found a pink envelope with my name on it. My dad sent me a Valentine's card with some cash. He usually sends me a funny card. Without cash. This one wasn't funny. It made me cry. As if I hadn't cried enough all morning.

As with the proverbial roller coaster, when life takes us down, really down, we don't always have to wait long to go back up again. Sometimes, it happens in moments. I'll close out this adventure by sharing the card with you. Thanks, Dad.

Although I've known you since before you were born, somehow you still continue to amaze me.

I've watched you go through change after change.

And I've seen you navigate through some pretty rough times with your heart as your compass and your strong, resilient spirit to carry you through.

Simply put, I couldn't be prouder of you.

You've grown from an adorable girl to a remarkable woman.

A woman I admire, love and respect more every day.

When I held you as a baby, I knew that you were special.

When I see you as a woman, I realize just how special.

More so than I ever could have imagined.

1 comment:

Kari said...

Wow Janeen. I am totally crying reading what your Dad wrote to you. That is so, so very special.