Tuesday, October 6, 2009

6 on 6

Today is my sweet boy's birthday. His lucky birthday: he's 6 on October 6th.

I can't believe that just six years ago, I went from screaming bloody murder and enduring the worst pain of my life one minute (well, actually, make that about 38 hours and a few random minutes) to being swept up in the most overwhelming current of love, bliss and pure awe the next moment.

Welcome to the miracle of childbirth.

To commemorate Ben's "lucky birthday," I've decided to pen the story of his birth. If I wait any longer, I'll certainly repress more of those fine moments ("For the 11th time, I'm telling you: the epidural is NOT WORKING!!) and I risk forgetting the the things that made Ben's arrival so special ("I'm telling you - that baby just smiled; I know he smiled at me! Damn, did you see the size of those feet? No way, he can't weigh that much...really? Double-check that!")

So consider yourself fair warned (Dad!) about the next entry. It's gonna be long and it'll certainly be a bit gruesome (show me a labor story that isn't!) This was no scheduled C-section, nor was it a "Oh honey, I think it's time..." kinda labor. Ben had a plan (he's always been stubborn like that) and he entered this world on his terms and in his own special, albeit, superincrediblyhorrificpainful kinda way.

In the meantime, happy birthday to my beloved boy! I love you with all that I am. Thank you for choosing me to be your Mommy.

1 comment:

Kirsten said...

Happy Birthday to Ben! Can it really be six years already??? No way.

I can't wait to hear your story. I suppose maybe I shouldn't tell you mine. My epidural was loooooovely. I didn't even mind being in labor for 30 hours before finally opting for a c-section the first time. The second time I had a very smooth sailing scheduled c-section. Not spontaneous and dramatic, but still the most amazing two day of my life.