Thursday, October 1, 2009

The Month In Review, By Ben. Or, "How I Drove My Mother To Drink Heavily Every Night"

Hi, it's Ben! I'm my mother's guest blogger for the week because she's in bed, hiding under a blanket, saying something to the effect of "Please God, never let September repeat itself again."
I don't know what the heck she's talking about; I had a GREAT month and thought I'd share some of the highlights...

Here I am, back at the Del Norte pool, practicing my fabulous swim skills. My mom took me to the pool nearly every day this summer, even in September. I got to take several friends with me and my mom even jumped in on most days. I don't really understand this, but every time that she came into the pool, she made me promise to not splash her. Something about her expensive hair-do. I'm sure I'll discuss it with my therapist someday: "My mom always took me swimming but would never go underwater. What's that all about?" (note to Ben: Mommy's highlights cost almost as much as the mortgage! Chlorine is the enemy!)




Speaking of money, here I am with my good buddy, Ean, spending Mom's money on ice cream and candy. See, I can tell you the truth. She'd tell you that we were buying apples and tofu but really, Mom's not as strict about nutrition as she comes off. You should see what she eats when no one is around!



Mom gets a discount on everything at the snack bar because she's an employee. Sweet! I hope she keeps that job for a long time. When everything is half off, a dollar goes a long way!



One place that my Mom vows not to go to each year is the State Fair. So I go with my Dad, like a million times. This year, Mom took me on the last day. We met my friend Ean there. Ean wanted to go on unlimited rides and I thought that was a good idea too. So I convinced my mom to buy a $35.00 wrist band for me. Then I got to the midway and I freaked out. Mom said a few bad words and insisted that I do one ride, any ride. I agreed to the Merry-Go-Round but I wouldn't sit on a horse. No way. They go up and down way too quickly. So I sat on the bench. Mom said she would never buy me a wrist band again and I didn't want my picture taken near the rides and it was actually a big tear-fest with and meltdown. Here we are at one of the exhibits:



I started soccer in August, but our games actually started in September. Soccer is two nights a week: practice on Tuesday and game on Friday. Those are both work nights for my mom; she had to re-schedule her clients and classes so that she could be at (most) practices and games. I think this whole soccer commitment is what started to throw her over the edge. She's gone every night of the week now but I'm so glad that she can be there with me.



I'm playing with my best "girl" friend, Lauren and her dad, Ryan, is our coach. Mom convinced Dad to let me play in Carmichael this year, instead of Fair Oaks (since she has that crazy work schedule AND since I have Lauren on my team). I think I'll be playing back in Fair Oaks next year but I'm going to enjoy my Del Dayo team as much as I can this year!



Here I am, right before I kicked in my first goal. My coach calls me a bulldozer. I kinda like that!




The first birthday party of the school year was up in Cameron Park. My classmate's mom drives him all the way from Cameron Park, to attend my school. And I thought we had a long drive! Anyway, here I am playing my new favorite game: Red Light, Green Light.



And this is my expression when I found out that I only get to smack the pinata once:




These are the treat bags from the party. They were outstanding! I hope my mom does favors like these for my party! (Mom's note: Sorry, Ben. Your friends are getting gift certificates to Baskin Robbins. Stay at home mom versus working mom. Enough said.)



We finished out the month with me getting pneumonia. Mom said we don't have any pictures because neither of us was very photogenic during this time. I couldn't go to school for a week and Mom had to take several days off of work. I coughed and cried for four nights straight but our days were very fun (please see the previous post for details).

So now it's October 1st and it's the day of my birthday party! I've been in my Mom's bed all night, coughing up a storm again, but I can't wait to see all my friends tonight. We even have a magician coming! I might have to take command of Mom's camera since she'll either be drowning in Sangria or hiding in her bedroom! She thinks that October might be a little quieter but I have other plans! I'm like my Dad that way... :-)

No comments: