Monday, July 5, 2010

Party Like A Rock Star

I went to Tahoe this weekend. And I found out what 30-somethings do when they have no children and access to a great lakefront home.

They party like rock stars.

Holy shit.

I feel so old.

My client has a friend who has a fabulous home at Emerald Bay. She invited me months ago to come with their group for the 4th of July weekend.

Since it wasn't my year to have Ben, I readily agreed.

We went up on Saturday, my client and I, and a couple of other (younger) girls.

By noon, we had found the house (mansion) and scoured every level (five, total), all the while taking in the full-on view of the lake, just steps from the house.

By 12:30pm, we had drinks in hand.

By 1:00pm, we were on a boat, in the middle of the lake, where the partying definitely went up a few notches (if you know what I mean).

By 2:00pm, we were all pretty much gone.

By 4:00pm, I was drinking coffee to clear my head for the task of cooking dinner. For fourteen.

By 8:00pm. dinner was served (I seriously underestimated how much time it would take to feed that many people!)

By 9:00pm, I was in bed.

On Sunday, we got up and pretty much repeated all of the above. Except that I only had to cook breakfast and I slowed my wine consumption up enough to actually read "Cutting for Stone." I finished 20 pages and threw it in the lake. I didn't actually, but I wanted to!

The only difference between Saturday and Sunday were the fireworks. Oh, and the fact that I didn't have to cook dinner!

The fireworks were 'effing amazing. How have I lived my entire life here without seeing the famous Tahoe 4th of July fireworks?

From our vantage point (sprawled out on blankets on the boat dock), we watched several shows across the lake. Music blasted from the Ipod. Various substances were passed. As for me, I didn't need anything mind-altering to appreciate the already mind-blowing show that was taking place in front of me.

The reflection of the fire works against the calm lake was unlike anything I've ever seen. Every color that illuminated the sky, also had an effect on the water. It was one of the most beautiful illusions. I found it to be more captivating than the vividest of sunsets on Maui. I didn't want it to end.

I came home not necessarily feeling like I'd partied like a rock star, but I felt like I'd lived like one.

Would it have been more rewarding to stay at home with Ben, tossing water balloons with his friends, grilling hot dogs, sharing beers with my best friend and watching the kids delight in their sparklers?

I don't know.

But I do know that 4th of July fireworks in Tahoe was one of the coolest things I've seen in a long time. And that there's a reason that people pour into the Tahoe basin each year at this time. It's that great.

And as for hot dogs and water balloons and sparklers and beer with friends, there's always next year.

3 comments:

Lish said...

Wait. Are rockstars in bed by 9? I'm still rocking then. :)

Both types of 4th sound great!

I wasn't feeling the holiday, but in my quest to run some errands between 7:30 pm and 10 pm (did you know Walmart is open until 10:30 pm even on 4th of July????), I ended up driving through both the Birdcage AND the CalExpo traffic. So I celebrated my way.

Shrine Readers said...

Sounds awesome! A weekend with friends is always a good time. I just saw your health blog too. I'm newly gluten free (kicking and screaming). Do you ever write on that?

Anonymous said...

Jealous! Even though I worked, the 4th was good for me too.