Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Rite of Passage

We went to Ben's Little League kick-off party last night.

God help me.

13 boys in one small Round Table room. 12 boys were older than Ben by a year. Boy energy pulsated through the building...rambunctious boy energy that is punctuated by impromptu jabs, tackles and kicks. Is this what first grade looks like? I'll say it again...

God help me.

We are in store for 2 practices each week (the practice field is just under an hour from my house in commute traffic!), one weekly game and several hours of parent volunteering. I tuned out after I heard the words: "everyone WILL work the concession stand!"

The list of gear alone was enough to make my brain go completely numb. I looked at Ben's dad. "You're on that. Right?!"

It's hard to say where Ben's excitement level is on the baseball spectrum. Particularly in a game where the coaches pitch and T-ball is "for the little kids."

When it comes to sports though, Ben continues to surprise me. Just last weekend, his dad took him skiing. I truly believed that he would hate it and to my shock, he loved it. L-O-V-E-D it to the point of asking incessantly when we can go.

So into the Little League season we go, where we'll join the hundreds of other area parents who turn out excitedly for Opening Day and then we'll come together several times each week to see what kind of talent our kids possess on the field and we'll sell a few hot dogs and sodas and then we'll look at our calendars and see that half our summers have slipped away. Did I mention that we have to sign a code of conduct? For parents? Not for the kids...

Oh yes, this is a whole new ballgame for us indeed.

Wish us luck. And see you all sometime in July. :-)

2 comments:

Kari said...

My oldest loves skiing too! She's now skiing the big hills with her Dad - and he's having trouble keeping up with her! Oh, to be 6 years old again... :-)

Lish said...

I LOVE watching kid's baseball! That is truly summertime.