If the gingerbread house is still standing in January and if your child is incessantly whining for "just one more bite" of the hard, stale candy and frosting - and refusing to allow you to throw it away - it's time to take serious action. Here's what I recommend:
1. Grab several trash bags, tear them apart and cover a very large surface of your floor.
2. Find a hammer.
3. Place the gingerbread house in the center of the trash bags.
4. Call the child into the room and watch said child's eyes widen.
5. Give the hammer to the child. Watch eyes widen some more.
6. Stand back. WAY back.*
7. Tell the child to "go to town, don't hold back at all, crush that gingerbread house!"
8. Bask in the glory of being "the coolest mom ever" then get the vacuum cleaner out and proceed to vacuum up bits of candy and frosting for days.
*In case you're wondering, Molly the dog looked on through this entire process (see above) and even ignored several chunks of gingerbread that flew her way. We're not entirely convinced that she's a Lab. Or a dog, for that matter.