Monday, October 27, 2008

Senior Moments

This morning, I taught a Senior Fitness class at the club where I do the majority of my Pilates training. It's not my normal class; I was filling in for an instructor who is on vacation.

I absolutely love it when I have the opportunity to teach this class. I don't love the time - 7:30am - or the fact that the class jams right up against my Advanced Pilates group at 8:30am, thus creating a bit of a stressful transition.

But I love the people. At least 15 seniors show up on a regular basis. Even more if they find out that I'm their subsitute teacher (they say I'm easier than the regular instructor!).

We do a half an hour of light weights, followed by a half an hour of stretching. The average age of the group is probably around 75.

During the hour, I'll call out an exerise - let's use bicep curls as an example - and two-thirds of the group will do something completely different. In what way does a lunge resemble a bicep curl? I'm mostly laughing during the class because of all the moaning and groaning they're doing over their 2 pound dumbell exercises.

The hour flies by. Then it's hugs all around, big thanks to me for being their teacher and lots of inquiries as to when I'll be back. What a way to start the day.

I reflect for the rest of the day on how dedicated these seniors are. Until I show up at my evening yoga class, and my 86-year-old yogi is the first in class, rolling out her mat, and requesting the "hip" music, "not the boring, instrumental stuff." And then I'm downright amazed.

My "mature" yogi friend has outlived her husband; her kids, grandkids, and great-grandkids are far away and she thinks that yoga, instead of reality TV, keeps her young. I think I could learn a lot from her.

No comments: